Dear Students and Parents,
On behalf of the High School Faculty, I would like to welcome you to the 2013-2014 school year at AIS–Chennai. I hope you have had a relaxing, enjoyable summer and are looking forward to the coming school year, with its promise of new opportunities to learn and new friends to meet.
This will be a year of many exciting changes. To begin with, we are happy to welcome twelve new members to the high school faculty:
Andrew Ranson – English Jennifer Alevy – Librarian
Cailin O’Connor – Visual Arts Lisa Levi – English
Calley Connelly – Math Mercy Jesudass – Counselor
Chitra K.V.P. – Math Ryan MacFarland – PE/Health
Deborah Lee – Choir Susannah McGlamery–Counselor
Holly Younglove – PE/Health Sangeeta McCandless – French & IB TOK
It is an impressive group of educators, and it has been a real pleasure to meet and get to know them over this past week. I hope you will join me in welcoming them into the AISC community.
I think it’s going to be a good year. There is already an almost palpable energy and optimism in the air that goes with being a part of very dynamic and progressive school community. Last year the community as a whole engaged the development of a new strategic plan in a considerable amount of reflection on our practice, including but certainly not limited to the CIS/MSA accreditation process and. Out of that reflection came new directions – the 1:1 Bring-Your-Own-Technology initiative, co-teaching in the inclusive classroom, ILearnIT, Freshman Seminar, and a powerful action plan for revising our World Language curriculum, to name a few. I will begin sharing more information with you about these changes as we get the school year started.
For now, a few reminders:
New Student Orientation - To help welcome high school students and their parents who are new to the AISC community, we will hold an orientation session on Monday, August 5, from 11:30 to 1:00 in the High School Library. After an initial introduction, the students will meet with the counselorsto learn more about the school and what to expect on the first day of classes. Parents will meet with me for information, a brief tour of the school and an opportunity to have questions answered. The parent orientation will end at 12:15 p.m., while the students will continue until 1:00 p.m.
First Day of School - Tuesday, August 6, is the first day of school for all students. The day will begin with an assembly, after which students will attend their “A” Day classes (Periods 1-4) during shortened periods. Wednesday, August 8, will be a “B Day” day (Periods 5-8) with the regular schedule of classes
Students should plan on arriving a few minutes early on August 6. We will distribute student schedules in the Foyer of the Fine Arts Center from 8:00 to 8:30 a.m.
Communication is the key–I have attached information regarding the many ways that the faculty and I work to ensure that all students and parents are kept aware of all of the wonderful things that happen at our school. Each week I will update my Principal’s Notes, an online newsletter that shares the highlights and upcoming events in the high school. Please take the time to read these Notes each week to stay informed.
There will also be opportunities for us to meet in person. I will be holding monthly Parent Coffees and we will have Student-Parent-Teacher Conferences in October and February. And don’t forget tomark your calendar for the Back to School Night on Tuesday, August 13 from 6:30 to 9:00 p.m., where you will have an opportunity to meet your child’s teachers.
Again, welcome to another great year at AISC. I am looking forward to working with you in the coming year as we continue to build a learning community that helps our students develop into knowledgeable, caring and responsible citizens of the world.
Sincerely,
John McCandless
High School Principal