Friday, August 31, 2012


Dear Parents,

I have been away from school this week on a family matter and have missed a number of exciting events, such as the Student Leadership Retreat and the IB Diploma Program Retreat last Saturday, Yearbook photos, the first student-led assembly of the school year, a College Application Seminar with Mrs. Callaway, a Moodle workshop for parents and a performance by visiting artist Cohdi Harrell. I have a lot of catching up to do! Fortunately we have an outstanding faculty and staff more than able to keep the High School running smoothly while I am away.

A reminder - we had to reschedule the High School Parent Coffee that was scheduled this week due to my absence. We will hold it instead on Thursday, Sept. 6 in the Black Box Theater. The goal of this meeting is to help parents learn more about our Week Without Walls and about the electronic resources that the school has made available to students and parents. I hope to see you there.

Next week we will be providing students with their usernames and passwords to log in to our student information system, known as Skyward. In order to obtain their login information, each student will have to complete the four short Information Technology tutorials on the High School Moodle page and will have to return the Student Handbook agreement. Once the students have completed these requirements, you and they will be able to see their grades, report cards, attendance data and personal data such as addresses and telephone numbers. I will be sending more information to you next week.

As always, please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or matters you would like to discuss.

Have a great weekend.

John McCandless
High School Principal